Areas of Medical Practice

General Practitioner (GP)
Our General Practitioner (GP) is the first port of call in most instances to deal with prevention or worsening of conditions or diagnosis and treatment. They are under a statutory duty to keep strict records of your family medical history to ensure that those more susceptible to conditions may be screened to hopefully diagnose any sinister symptoms at an early stage.  It is also the role of the General Practitioner to work with other health professionals to promote health education and preventative medical care. They are regulated by the GMC (General Medical Council) and are insured against claims by their professional Unions to whom they pay annual membership fees.
Health Centers
A health centre is a multi-disciplinary centre utilising the services of doctors, nurses and health workers sometimes offering the services such as physiotherapy, counselling and healthcare education.
The role of the pharmacy is to ensure a safe and effective supply and use of medicine as well as healthy lifestyle advice. They can be a useful advisory service for common ailments.
An opticians practice employs professionals to perform eye examinations to determine the visual problems of a patient, their medical history and needs.  An important role is to detect eye diseases such as glaucoma (clouding over of the eyes) and macular degeneration (damage caused by bright sunlight) as well as systemic diseases. They are qualified to prescribe glasses or contact lenses but refer patients on to the Hospital’s Ophthalmologists if an eye disease is diagnosed.
Dentists diagnose and treat problems relating to teeth, gums and the mouth.  They are able to prescribe antibiotics and pain relievers where necessary and give advice in relation to diet and tooth brushing to prevent future problems. They are regulated by the GMC (General Medical Council) and are insured against claims by a professional Dental Defence Union to whom they pay annual membership fees.
The role of the midwife starts in the first trimester (initial 3 months), preparing women for childbirth and caring for both mother and child in the post natal period (after the birth). Midwifes may work in the community, hospitals or both and offer support and education to people preparing for parenthood.
Community Healthcare
Community Healthcare can cover a range of services for both adults and children.  These may include community nursing, health visiting, physiotherapy, mental health care and dentistry to name just a few.  Some of the services included will take place in a patient’s own home where there are problems with immobility, daily living or perhaps end life stage (palliative care).
The Ambulance Service is part of the NHS whose responsibility is as a first response to major incidents.   The aim of the ambulance staff and paramedics is to provide optimum care and assistance to casualties and subsequent transportation to hospitals if deemed necessary after a triage assessment of the incident and to treat as required.  It is also their responsibility to alert other emergency services of the situation as required.
Hospitals accept only GP referrals or emergency patients. The NICE Guidelines (National Institute for Clinical Negligence) set the high quality standards for healthcare supplied by the NHS and should be relied upon to promote healthy living and healthcare. Protocols within Hospitals are the Guidelines against which the medical staff have to comply and although are usually based upon the NICE Guidelines, they may be specific to the individual Hospital or Department in question. You have to ensure the Guidelines against which you are measuring the potential negligence against are the correct version for the year in question as they are updated regularly.
In this busy environment mistakes can easily be made perhaps due to the pressures upon staff to ensure all are treated or a complete coherent history of the of the of the problem is not taken. Patients attend A&E as treatment is required urgently to either treat the problem completely or leave the patient in a position where they can safely be referred on for other treatment whether it be for a critical condition or requiring further attention and supervision.
Outpatients Units
These are split into either Medical or Surgical and then again into specialist departments such as:-
  • Cardiology (Heart Problems)
  • Intensive Care (Life Support)
  • Neurology (Spinal or Brain Damage)
  • Oncology (Cancer)
  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Births and Women’s Problems)
  • Surgical (Keyhole Surgery or Open Operations)
  • Paediatric (Children’s Wards)
  • Larger hospitals may also have outpatient departments and treatment units dealing with;
    • Chronic Treatment Units (Long Term Illnesses)
    • Behavioural Health Services (Antisocial Behaviour)
    • Dentistry (Teeth or Jaw Problems)
    • Dermatology (Skin Problems)
    • Psychiatry (Mental Health)
    • Rehabilitation (Post Accident/Operation)
    • Physiotherapy (Muscle Exercises)
    • Ophthalmology (Eye Problems)
    • Urology (Urine or Prostate Problems)
    • Haematology (Blood)
    • Endocrinology (Diabetes Clinic)
    • Hepatology (Liver Problems)
    • Nephrology (Kidney Problems)

Our specialist medical negligence solicitors can take your case on a no win no fee basis.

If you believe that you have suffered as a result of negligent medical treatment or a failure to treat resulting in damage to your health, the claim must be brought within three years of that negligent treatment or omission. Alternatively, it must be brought within three years of the date you had knowledge of the medical mistake.

Our experienced medical negligent lawyers will talk to you about your injuries and offer a free initial interview or telephone call where they will provide you with their expert advice, not only on how much compensation you can expect to receive but also on rehabilitation and ongoing health issues. If you need physiotherapy or other medical support, we can organise that for you. We can also help you get back to work if your injuries have meant you needed time off or had to leave your job or return in a lesser paid role or on a part time basis.

Secure Law can recover damages for you resulting from your medical negligence claim, which may include:-

  • ‘General Damages’ (this is the name Courts give to compensation for physical or psychological injuries)
  • ‘Special Damages’ (this is the name Courts give to compensation for associated financial losses due to your injuries) for instance;
    • Loss of earnings, both past and future if you cannot return to work
    • Property (alterations to clothes or personal belongings)
    • Treatment fees
    • Travel expenses to and from appointments
    • Care costs (even if personal or domestic tasks have been provided free of charge by your friends or family, a monetary value can be claimed)
    • Medication, home alterations or equipment costs
    • Funeral costs

Compensation Claims

For free and expert advice on making a medical negligence compensation claim click here or call us free on 0808 165 5000. Our approachable lawyers are ready to help you. Secure Law “Your Claim In Safe Hands”.

Accidents in the workplace

If you have been involved in an accident at work and suffered injury, whether bruises or minor cuts and grazes, fractures, amputations, or burns then contact us to discuss your claim.

Find out more!

Slips and trips in public places

If you have been involved in an accident when visiting the premises of others, whether a restaurant, pub, shop, or an office for example, and have suffered injury then contact us to discuss your claim.

Find out more!

Medical negligence

If you have suffered injury as a result of preventable mistakes, or a failure to take action by a medical professional, whether a doctor, nurse, or support staff then contact us to discuss your claim.

Find out more!

Industrial illnesses

If you have suffered injury or illness in the workplace as a result of exposure to noise, or through contact with substances harmful to health, then contact us to discuss your claim.

Find out more!

Accidents on the road

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident, and suffered injury, whether you were a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, driver or passenger in or on a vehicle, then contact us to discuss your claim.

Find out more!